Saturday, January 19, 2013

My Inspiration and Mentor



     There were a lot of factors that effected my decision to become a teacher, but one of my main influences was my father. My father has taught History and Spanish on the high school level for twenty years now. He knew that teaching was his calling and he decided to pursue it even though he knew it wouldn't make him rich. When asked about it he says, "As a teacher I have made enough money to provide for my family. We may not live lavishly but we have always been okay, and as a teacher I have had a plenty of opportunity to spend quality time with my family." My father is an inspiring man. When I decided that teaching was the career path I wanted to take my father was the first person I turned to for advice. He has helped me with everything from recommending universities, to online sites to help me study for my Praxis exam. Some people have asked me why I would ever want to be a teacher because they don't make any money but my dad never said anything like that. He has only ever encouraged me to pursue my dream.
     I think it is so important for people in any profession to have a role model/mentor. It is a comfort knowing that when I have questions or concerns I have someone trustworthy to turn to for advice. I was just lucky enough to have my father as my mentor.

 My Mom and Dad aka My Inspiration


Here are some websites that my father recommended for me to register and practice for the Praxis.
Registering
Practice Test
Practice Test

--Life Long Learner

1 comment:

  1. Excellent post! Thank you for sharing the recommendations from your Dad!

    ReplyDelete